Demands for a more just society
Demand an end to the "War on Drugs." Treat drugs as a public health problem not a criminal justice problem.
- Begin steps to de-criminalize drug possession
- End racial profiling, cease targeting of drug busts in poor communities
- Collect data nationally to monitor and eliminate selective enforcement
- Stop the transfer of military equipment to local law enforcement
- Stop federal grants for drug law enforcement
- Abolish drug forfeiture laws
- Fund treatment programs
Demand criminal justice & prison reform. While there are still prisons, make them humane and rehabilitative-- for the benefit of all society.
- Create/expand educational programs for people behind bars
- Allow easy access to family and friends while in prison or jail
- Provide extensive mental health and substance abuse treatment
- ABOLISH solitary confinement, long sentences, treating juveniles like adults, and the death penalty
- Fund Public Defenders' offices equally with District Attorneys' offices
- End privately run, for-profit prisons and prison services
Demand a change in how we view PEOPLE.
- Black and Brown people must not be viewed as the designated enemy
- Develop compassionate and humane approaches to problems of the urban poor
- Provide access to living wage jobs for people coming out of prison, and provide training and alternative jobs for those who currently work in prisons
- Reduce barriers to employment, housing, voting, jury duty, licenses, and access to education and public benefits for people with criminal records
- Fund community development, schools, jobs, drug treatment, and health care, NOT MORE PRISONS
- Talk about race: Identify how the system unjustly targets poor people of color
How to Contact your Senators
Select your state from the dropdown on this site and you will find links to your Senators' contact information.
How to Contact your Representative
Not sure of your congressional district or who your member is? This service will assist you by matching your ZIP code to your congressional district, with links to your member's website and contact page.